Thursday, February 24, 2011

Measurements

I was making crêpes this morning and thinking about how the U.S. and the rest of the world use totally different systems to measure, well, everything. Miles/kilometers, cups/grams, gallons/liters, fahrenheit/celsius, dollars/euros/pounds/whatever, etc. It gets somewhat confusing when I look at a measuring cup and have to actually think about how much of something I'm putting in. It gets even more confusing when I have to explain a measurement to someone who isn't familiar with the American system. When it comes to the question, "How far is something in the U.S. from something else?" I usually start trying to explain then end up saying how long it takes to get between the two places. I can do temperatures pretty quickly thanks to chemistry class, but money is difficult because the conversion is never exactly the same. Maybe this is just a problem for me because I suck at math, but it is sometimes really difficult to a figure out the numbers and then to explain them in French! It would be so useful to all use the same system (not that I think that'll ever actually happen).

No comments:

Post a Comment